So it's not Fall...but I hear that cider ages very well, and my cider tends to be pretty dry so that should help it age. Really, this will be more of a test of willpower than anything else, as I'm going to try to age this cider for 8 months or so...we'll see :)
Again, this is a very simple recipe...still trying to get cider right :) I'm going to add some fruit to the secondary, but I'm not sure what type yet. Also, I tried champagne yeast this time...not sure what difference it will make, as it usually ferments completely anyway, but at least they will be strong enough to eat up any fruit I put in there.
Fall Cider
5 Gallons Apple Cider (Kirkland/Costco Brand)
1 Package of Wyeast 4021 Pasteur Champagne Yeast (Smack-Pack)
OG: 1.051
OG: 1.051
SG when transferred to secondary:
FG: 1.000 (yep...that's right)
Date into Primary: 1/17/2011
Date into Secondary: 1/23/2011; Added 7 lb bag of mixed berries from Costco (raspberries, boysenberries and blueberries)
Date Bottled: 2/20/2011
FG: 1.000 (yep...that's right)
Date into Primary: 1/17/2011
Date into Secondary: 1/23/2011; Added 7 lb bag of mixed berries from Costco (raspberries, boysenberries and blueberries)
Date Bottled: 2/20/2011
Taste upon bottling was very dry and pretty puckery. I bottled with 8 oz of lactose (to hopefully add some sweetness) and 3 oz of corn sugar for a mild carbonation.

1 comments:
I will make sure you sustain your will power! I really want to wait till the fall to try this and see how the fermentation did and to see if its any sweeter. I really liked your idea of adding plums and I think you should do it....I might even help...maybe.
Post a Comment