I wanted to brew an aging beer for the birth of Lilian, but decided to brew a wintery beer instead. To store and age a bunch of beer before a big move seemed a little annoying. Perhaps when we get to our next location I'll make up for it :)
To get ready for the cold winter, I decided to brew a heavy, American stout. And the time seems perfect, as I am on paternity leave for Lily's birth, and to top things off, it's National Teach a Friend to Homebrew Day. My neighbor, Mike, joined me for a bit today.
In the absence of a good name (Lilyhammered got vetoed by the fam :) I'll just call it Lily's Stout for now...
Similarly to the last beer (Weed n Feed Ale) I chilled it with cold water and ice. Once again the wort dropped within pitching temp in about 2 minutes...we'll see if my use of ice has any ill effects. Contrary to the last batch, I used all LME and a smack pack instead of dry yeast.
Here is the recipe I used (the liquid extract is from Northern Brewer):
| 6.00 lb | Dark Liquid Extract [Boil for 15 min] | Extract | 56.34 % |
| 3.15 lb | Dark Liquid Extract (17.5 SRM) | Extract | 29.58 % |
| 0.50 lb | Black Malt - 2-Row (Briess) (500.0 SRM) | Grain | 4.69 % |
| 0.50 lb | Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) | Grain | 4.69 % |
| 0.25 lb | Carafa III (525.0 SRM) | Grain | 2.35 % |
| 0.25 lb | Caramel Malt - 120L (Briess) (120.0 SRM) | Grain | 2.35 % |
2.00 oz | Williamette [4.40 %] (60 min) | Hops | 29.7 IBU |
| 1.00 oz | Cascade [7.50 %] (15 min) | Hops | 12.6 IBU |
| 1.00 oz | Cascade [7.50 %] (1 min) | Hops | 1.1 IBU |
1 Pkgs | Northwest Ale (Wyeast Labs #1332) | Yeast-Ale |
OG: 1.077
FG: 1.026
ABV: 6.67
IBU: 54.8
SRM: 45.2
Overall comments: TBD

1 comments:
ummmmmm I probably should have tasted this one:) oops I'll blame it on me nursing:)
Post a Comment